Monday, April 1, 2013

A Savory April Fools!

Happy April Fools Day!

I was going to make surprise cakes, ya know, mini cakes with things like candied cherries or nuts hidden in the centers... But it's April Fools Day. You would be expecting something like that.

Instead I went literal. Ful, pronounced Fool, is Egyptian for a kind of fava bean dish.

Now, when you think fava bean, pop culture being what it is, you probably hear Hannibal Lecter talking about liver and Chianti.

I have nothing against Chianti, but lets agree that it is just too creepy to put these things together anymore. I'm getting as far away from that as possible here and giving you a breakfast recipe.

This is, from what I read, a popular Egyptian breakfast. I thought it was fantastic! And healthier by far than French Toast.

So Happy April 'Fuls' Day. Lets Eat!

And Happy 1st Blogiversary to me as well!


This is easiest to make with canned beans, but if you can't find them, use dried.

Ful Medames

1 can fava beans, rinsed and drained - 
or, about 1 cup dried, soaked and boiled according to package directions
1 lime
2 tsp garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger
cumin
salt

Crush the garlic and the ginger together to make a paste. Add to the beans and olive oil. Mash together with a fork and add the salt and cumin to taste.

Serve with warm flat bread, an egg and a squeeze of lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment