Friday, June 28, 2013

mushroom chicken with couscous

I have had a package of whole wheat couscous in the cabinet for way too long.

I keep looking at it and choosing rice instead. Or mashed potatoes. Or stuffing. But couscous is really tasty! I know this and keep passing it by.... Silly me.

I made this just for me the other night. Scale it up as far as you want.

Mushroom Chicken with Couscous

1 chicken breast, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tbsp Butter Olive Oil
1/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
Couscous

Follow the directions for 1 serving of couscous. If they call for butter, substitute the Butter Olive Oil for real butter in equal amounts. Cook and set aside.

In a medium pan, heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil to medium heat. Saute the onions and mushrooms until they get nice and soft and the mushrooms start to brown. 5-7 minutes.

Add the chicken and stir to combine well. Add the chicken broth and bring the heat to medium high. Cover and let simmer until the chicken is done, about 8-10 minutes.

Cook uncovered an extra 1-2 minutes. Spoon over couscous and serve.

(I drizzled a little Traditional Balsamic over this a little bit later. It was good.)




No comments:

Post a Comment