Thursday, August 23, 2012

Coconut Pineapple Shrimp with Mango Sticky Rice

This shrimp dish was inspired by a trip to the ethnic grocery store. I went on a shopping trip with my friend Vanda. She wanted to stop at a local Indian cash and carry for snacks. I LOVE that place! They have so many spices I just about died and went to cooking heaven.

I picked up the most fragrant mangoes I've ever smelled, and bags and bags of spices and nuts. For nuts, I'll never go anywhere else. Poor Vanda thought I was crazy. I felt like it was the first time I'd ever walked into a Wegman's. I walked out with heavy bags and a light wallet.

So I picked up this bag of coconut powder. It's really just unsweetened coconut flakes all ground up. I like the texture of this and will use it in some baking soon, but it works really nicely included in breading mixtures.


So I grabbed some frozen, precooked shrimp and thawed some. Then I dipped them one by one into our White Pineapple Balsamic, then into the coconut powder (this would work with flakes too). The mixture is a bit prone to falling off. You really need an egg in there to keep it stable. Next time!


Then I popped them in the oven for a bit. It only took 6 or 7 minutes at 350degrees.

Then I made some white rice. I mixed up 1 can of coconut milk and a tablespoon of Persian Lime Olive Oil with 3tbsp raw sugar. I used that to replace the water in my instant rice recipe. It thickened up just beautifully.

I cut up one mango and stirred the chunks into the rice. I served extra on the side too.  I had some leftover coconut milk/sugar/olive oil so I drizzled it over the shrimp to serve.


I had so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment