Friday, January 25, 2013

Slow Sauce

This is not the slowest sauce I've ever seen recipes for. This is just the slowest thing I'll probably ever make. Turkey doesn't count. That's turkey. And still, the 5 hours that turkey takes is just a minute when compared to this long, slow, 8 hour sauce.

You can while away the time doing just about anything you please. And if you have a good electrical system in your house, unlike mine, you can even leave and go to work. Or run errands, or get a massage. Hmm... It's after the holidays. I might be due for some 'me-time.' After all, I just spent 8 hours making sauce!

Slow Sauce

2 28oz cans of whole or diced tomatoes
2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp Basil Olive Oil
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp Bottarga Pate
1/2 - 1 cup white wine
5 tbsp chopped garlic
2 chopped carrots
crushed red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
1 bay leaf

Heat the Basil Olive Oil in a saute pan to medium heat. Add the chopped onions, garlic, paprika and turmeric. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be a little translucent and the spices should be nice and toasty.

Combine the onion/garlic mix with everything else in your slow cooker. Turn the heat to medium and cook, uncovered for 8 hours.

Remove the bay leaf.

This part is optional. I like to leave my sauce chunky and serve it right from the slow cooker. But you can process in batches in your blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender.



This freezes well. I like to freeze sauce in ice cube trays (best to have special ones just for sauce) so I can pop in a little tomato-y burst when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment