Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Walnut Zucchini Bread

I love zucchini. I love all it's forms. You can grill it, bake it, saute it, eat it raw and when you thought you were finished, you can bake it. It can disappear in a dish or it can stand out.

This is a place for zucchini to disappear. It's what I made for my niece's birthday this week. I didn't want to make it too sweet, just something for fun. And something my sister-in-law wouldn't feel bad about appropriating entirely for her own breakfasts.

This recipe makes two loaves, so I took one to them and kept the other to myself!

This is great served toasted, use a toaster oven or standard oven, not the toaster! I like a little butter on top, but its pretty awesome with whipped cream or just by itself.

Walnut Zucchini Bread

1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup Butter Olive Oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 or 3)

Preheat the oven to 375degrees. Lightly grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Use the 8x4 size.

Mix the oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar together in a large bowl.

Sift all the dry ingredients together in another bowl. Mix in the zucchini and nuts. Stir in the dry ingredients slowly.  When everything is well combined, pour into the prepared pans.

Bake about 50 minutes. Mine took more like 55. A testing stick should come out clean.

Cool slightly before removing it from the pan.

Please note that this poor zucchini loaf has been squashed in plastic wrap 
and dropped. I am sorry poor little zucchini loaf!

*Additions: 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup grated zucchini, 1 cup grated carrot or apple
Sub in Vanilla Olive Oil, and don't use vanilla extract
Use Blood Orange Olive Oil and 1/2cup candied orange peel

No comments:

Post a Comment